Peaches n’ Cream Muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
Cream cheese filling:
6 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Cinnamon and sugar-for sprinkling on muffins before baking
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease well. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Whisk in the sugar.
3. In a separate medium bowl or in a large glass measuring cup, mix canola oil, egg, milk, and vanilla together. Use a fork or whisk and combine well.
5. Incorporate the wet ingredients into flour mixture. Add slowly and gently stir, you don’t want to over mix. The batter will be thick. Carefully fold in the peaches.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, lemon zest, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix until creamy and smooth. Fill each muffin cup half way with batter. Next, add a small spoonful of cream cheese filling to each muffin cup. Cover the cream cheese filling with the remaining batter. Sprinkle each muffin with cinnamon and sugar.
7. Bake muffins for 17-20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool on a cooling rack.
Makes 6 large muffins